A Life of Service
A longstanding community leader and public servant, Lena Tam is running for Alameda County Supervisor to bring proven and effective leadership to the people of Alameda, Oakland, San Leandro and Ashland.
Lena has served as Vice Mayor of the City of Alameda, President of the City of Alameda Health Care Board and Chair of the Alameda County Planning Board. In her professional career, she is the Manager of the Water Planning Department at the East Bay Municipal Utility District, where she has worked for more than 30 years. She understands the complexities of how local and county governments interface with regional service providers; she’s a healthcare expert; and she’s ready to carry on the incredible legacy of Supervisor Wilma Chan.
Rooted in Alameda County
Lena, the child of two first-generation immigrants, was raised in the City of Alameda. She graduated from Alameda High School before pursuing degrees from UC Berkeley (BS in Environmental and Civil Engineering) and the University of San Francisco (Masters of Public Administration). A resident of District 3 for more than 50 years, she currently lives in the City of Alameda and works in Oakland.
Lena’s Record of Accomplishment
Plenty of politicians say the right things. Lena Tam gets it done.
Lena Tam’s proven record of accomplishments:
- While President of the City of Alameda Health Care Board, Lena kept Alameda Hospital open with emergency services.
- While Vice Mayor of the City of Alameda, Lena secured housing for low income seniors and veterans at Littlejohn Commons.
- While Vice Mayor, Lena also secured transit-oriented low income and workforce housing in Downtown Alameda at Park Alameda.
- While Vice Mayor, Lena also led the effort on Alameda’s Sunshine Ordinance and the creation of the Open Government Commission.
- As a Councilmember, Lena also served on the liaison committee with the school district to increase access to recreation facilities like the Encinal pools.
- As the Manager of the Water Resources Planning Department of EBMUD, Lena has been a strong environmental steward for our watershed lands and water resources.
- At EBMUD, Lena also developed the agency’s climate resiliency plans and emergency action plans.
- As the Chair of the Alameda County Planning Commission, Lena eased traffic in congested neighborhoods and preserved valued open space and historic landmarks in unincorporated communities.
- On the Alameda County Planning Commission, Lena also protected local streams and creeks from urban runoff, promoting drought-resistant landscaping.
Lena has been delivering for our community for decades, often working side-by-side with Supervisor Chan. She is the thoughtful and effective leader Alameda County needs.
Lena’s Life of Service (A Partial List)
- City of Alameda, Vice Mayor, Councilmember, 2006-2014
- Alameda County Planning Commissioner, Chair, 2001-2004
- City of Alameda Health Care Board President, 2002-2006
- Asian Pacific Employees Association at EBMUD, Founding Board Member, 1999-2001
- Friends of the Park Foundation, Board member, 2016-present
- Alameda Hospital Foundation, Board member, 2019-present
- American Association of University Women, Alameda Branch, Board Member
- Asian Pacific American Democratic Caucus of Alameda County, President
- Asian Americans for Good Government (AAGG), Past Boardmember
- Alameda County 100 Club, Member, 2017-Present
League of California Cities, At-Large Board Member, 2006-2014
- Environmental Quality Policy Committee, Water Task Force, Employee Relations; Asian Pacific American Caucus
- Alameda League of Women Voters, President, 1998-2000
- Alameda County League of Women Voters, Chair, 1999
- Sierra Club, Member
- Save the Bay, Past Board Member
- Oakland Chinatown Chamber of Commerce, Board Member, 2005
- East Bay Asian Voter Education Consortium, Past Chair, Board Member
- National Women’s Political Caucus, Executive Board Member
- California Federation of Business & Professional Women, 2001 Award for Women of Achievement
Do you like this page?